Monday, December 5, 2011

Grandmother

Her eyes open, I watched as she peacefully passed Sunday, September 11, 2011. She was the second Grandparent I've lost. I'm glad I was there. It's hard seeing ones you love die, but so nice knowing (if they are saved by grace) that they are going to the Place where they're meant to be. Heaven. Where they'll sit at the feet of the Heavenly Father worshipping Him all day long. In a perfected body with no pain! I'm glad I was there. 
We knew Grandmother was ill. She had been for a couple of months. Then she started acting strange. She took a fall. We were told after tests came back negative that it was just a progression of her Alzheimer's. Then, on Wednesday, the sisters (my Ma & her sisters, my Aunts) took her to the er. Come to find out she had an intestinal blockage. Which she wasn't a candidate for surgery because 1-her mental condition and 2- her advanced directive in her Living Will. You see, she and my Grandfather have made all their medical decisions and decisions about the end of their life already. Their bodies are already willed to the research program at UT Southwestern. They decided this years ago. I greatly admire them for this. I hope to do the same for my family. When the end of life comes, the decisions about how to care for them and whether or not to put them on a feeding tube or have a surgery has been made. And the family can rest well knowing they're following the wishes of their loved one. 
They gave her a week to live and she came home on Friday night under the care of Hospice.  She hadn't been doing well, in fact she had taken a turn for the worse. Saturday came and she was near the end. So sudden, so soon, so quick. The kids and I were visiting family in Oklahoma with my Mother-in-Law when I got news that my Grandmother would be passing anytime. All were with her but the kids and I, holding hands around her, praying and reading Scripture. We immediately came home and went straight to the apartment. She was sleeping. Never to be woken again. I spent the afternoon and evening at my grandparents apartment. Visiting with family, holding my Grandmother's beautifully manicured hand. Learning all the little details I had missed not being in town. I went home that night & slept. I had to. I couldn't stay up there. I have a baby who needs sleep. I've been gone all week. My husband needed me. My husband, daughter and I went up to my Grandparents apartment the next morning. Again visiting with family. Praying. She was still sleeping. Having bouts of sleep apnea. Then the change came. We were told to come. To be quiet. Her eyes were open. But they saw not. What was she looking at? What did she see? Was it the glorious light of Heaven welcoming her? We watched as she breathed her last. We grieved. After a couple of hours her body was retrieved by the medical personnel from the place where she would go. I remember thinking "This is the last time I'll ever see her!" I Immediately corrected myself; her earthly body, yes. But I'd see her once again. In Heaven. When my time comes I'll see her again! What a comfort! How sweet it is to know she's made whole again in Heaven with her Lord! 
The following Tuesday we had a private family memorial service for her. 
I will always remember her and love her. She loved books. I used to sit with her in her recliner reading book after book for as long as we both fit. She loved working crossword puzzles. Classical music was always on at her house. She loved her cats. She loved chocolate. She loved staying up late and watching M*A*S*H. She loved birds and bird watching. She loved gardening and flowers. She loved dogs. She loved children. She loved my children. She made funny sounds and faces at them. She kissed our birthday and Christmas cards. She loved the color blue. She loved ballet type slippers. She loved the outdoors. She let us play on her piano & helped teach us songs. Christmas mornings with Breakfast of SOS and dinner with sandwiches. She was a sweet woman. A wonderful Mother and Grandmother who raised 4 beautiful daughters and has 4 granddaughters, 1 grandson, and 7 great grandchildren! 
Her legacy is one of beauty. 
Patricia Anne Freeman. Born October 10, 19 Died September 11, 2011.  Married 61 years to her loving husband, who cared for her all her life. Even when she was on her deathbed he made sure she had enough covers. 
Remembered by all with great love! 


-Originally written November 26, 2011. I hesitated publishing this because I tend to be a pretty private person, but I think I need to. And you need to read it. 

No comments: