Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Donation

Ever since I started breastfeeding, I have wanted to donate my oversupply of milk.  I've gone back and forth between milk banks, but I just never did get around to calling one or apply to be able to donate.  One day my friend told me about MilkShare and how personal it is.  I love the fact that you can help another family out by donating your extra breast milk to them.  I love that it's unpasteurized.  I love that you know who is on the receiving end of the milk.  I love that you can build relationships, bonds.  It's a great concept.  My friend recently referred me to a lady that she had donated to in the past and who was in need of some milk.  She is in the process of adopting her forth child.  A beautiful baby boy.  He's 3 months old.  He does the best on breastmilk.  She tried him on every formula known to man and they weren't agreeing with him. He was born drug positive because his birth Mother did drugs while she was pregnant.  Once she put him on breastmilk, his symptoms drastically improved.  He's a happier, healthier little baby because of breastmilk.  And I get to contribute to his wellbeing.  How. Awesome. Is. That!  It makes me tear up just thinking about that! Thank you, Lord, for breasts, and for what you created them to do! Feed our babies! And if need be, to feed other babies! Breastmilk is liquid gold.  I truly believe that.  It can cure anything.  I'm so thankful I had this opportunity to donate to them, and pray that my milk supply holds up so that I can continue to donate.  I am so happy to have met this family.  To be able to hopefully build a relationship with them.  To watch this baby grow and know that I, at one time, helped him get to where he is.  I already love this family.  I love this baby.  They hold a very special place in my heart.

1 comment:

Jen @ Rolling Through Looneyville said...

This is so amazing. Really awesome for you to take the time to do this! I wish I would have when my first was a baby... I was able to pump frequently with her being as she was my only... now? Now with three, it's hard to pump at all, (my youngest has never had a bottle... kind of crazy, considering).

Storing up treasures, you are. Very cool.

@monsterchew